SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I want to drink!!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/202523-i-want-drink.html)

sleepie 06-08-2010 07:17 AM

Hahah you all are the best :) Thanks you really helped me through that all and I am on day 8 free from alcohol! :tyou

redroad 06-08-2010 08:19 AM

hey

Sleepie, when that slurping urge rolls aroun again, give Farrah a call and the both of you can kick the "snot" of it. :ghug3

sleepie 06-08-2010 09:00 AM

Thanks redroad :) I have a few "go to" movies I throw in when I'm feeling low- "Switchblade Sisters" and "Deathproof" are my top two :skull: :doug

Music 06-08-2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 2617941)
All I can think about the last couple of days is an ice cold beverage, and today is really bad. I had a nice lunch, saw a movie and read a little... I went to 7 meetings in 6 days and now it's pouring out, if it stops I might go to a meeting later but they bore me to tears and actually make me want to drink! Because at meetings, all anyone does is talk about drinking. I was walking around a market with my roomie today and all I could see were the beautifully packaged, imported and micro brewed beers out for the summer.:a108:

If you really want to drink, the probability that you'll follow any suggestions given to you here is slim so go ahead and drink. When you've had enough, and the idea of going to an AA meeting no longer bores you, come back and let us know how it worked for you.

DayTrader 06-08-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 2617981)
You or I or anyone here can drink any time we want...but we all know exactly where we'd end up.

Originally Posted by Music (Post 2619980)
If you really want to drink, the probability that you'll follow any suggestions given to you here is slim so go ahead and drink. When you've had enough, and the idea of going to an AA meeting no longer bores you, come back and let us know how it worked for you.

Thanks to both of you for reminding me of one of my early meetings.

For whatever reason, I had it in my head that the AA'ers were reeeeally pushing me to buy into this sobriety lifestyle and me, being the arrogant and defiant ass that I was, was all to happy to resist what I WANTED if for nothing other than to irritate them and to "prove" that Michael's program was just as good as their stupid program.

My whole plan got shot down in flames when several of them said what you guys did. One said it to me, and the other time I it was directed at someone else at the table who was "loophole-fishing."

It was a big-time revelation to me. It was like......darn, what fun is it in resisting these guys if they don't REALLY care if I'm here or not? Obviously, it helped me stick around.

thanks for the fond memories. :)

price 06-08-2010 04:35 PM

you are an inspiration....keep going. Nothing lasts forever, even the heartache.

sleepie 06-08-2010 04:43 PM

Hello Music and Day Trader- Are you familiar with the scroll bar? Use it and you'll see that in fact I did take suggestions, they got me through- and I am still sober. Thanks! And extra thanks to all those paying attention ;) :thanks

Dee74 06-08-2010 04:57 PM

I'm glad you're still sober Sleepie.

D

sleepie 06-08-2010 05:06 PM

Thank you Dee, me too- and I hope it never changes. I know it's still just a tiny bit of time... but each day counts.

BullDog777 06-09-2010 04:19 AM

geez..call your sponsor much?

what a lousy thing to say to someone just trying to relate their experience.

:c004:

If you really want to drink, the probability that you'll follow any suggestions given to you here is slim so go ahead and drink.

so by your thinking, anyone who really wants to drink, cannot be helped?? wow...

great way to lay the foundation, pal... keep coming back. :gaah

Music 06-09-2010 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 2620145)
Hello Music and Day Trader- Are you familiar with the scroll bar? Use it and you'll see that in fact I did take suggestions, they got me through- and I am still sober. Thanks! And extra thanks to all those paying attention ;) :thanks

Good to hear. So, how many meetings have you been to since Sunday?

sleepie 06-09-2010 08:55 AM

I found a pretty great women's group! I think I mentioned it in another thread somewhere. And today's day 9. Thanks Bulldog... I think I will kindly stick to my sober guns and simply ignore negative input. I know you have good intentions, Music- so no hard feelings regarding the discouraging comments. As they say, just concern yourself with yourself. I want a sponsor! I've been told I pretty much just have to navigate until I find one. I have a kind of temporary one and I call people from the list of names and numbers I have when I feel like drinking and they have really helped. Thanks everyone for your input! :You_Rock_

Music 06-09-2010 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 2620752)
I found a pretty great women's group! I think I mentioned it in another thread somewhere. And today's day 9. Thanks Bulldog... I think I will kindly stick to my sober guns and simply ignore negative input. I know you have good intentions, Music- so no hard feelings regarding the discouraging comments. As they say, just concern yourself with yourself. I want a sponsor! I've been told I pretty much just have to navigate until I find one. I have a kind of temporary one and I call people from the list of names and numbers I have when I feel like drinking and they have really helped. Thanks everyone for your input! :You_Rock_

Sometimes discouraging comments stimulate the senses. Keep up the good work.

Toronto68 06-09-2010 02:14 PM

Well, I guess that is what progress is all about. Earlier it was more like how they're all the same, blah blah; God this and that; now it's a great women's group. Every little thing adds up. Pennies adding up to dollars, as I like to say.

I am going to guess that in the next few weeks you are going to notice when you start to have thoughts that don't work for you. To me, these thoughts are the precursor to the next rubbish thought about alcohol suddenly appearing out of nowhere. The tricky thing about them is how they appear on the heels of both negative as well as positive emotions that flutter by.

I don't know how many times you have quit (or tried to quit) before, but this is basically the first time for me really, and I have gained more understanding about how my brain works in the last few months. I didn't reach the point where it mattered to me in the past. The spiritual fitness thing is something I am still thinking about (how am I being in that state, if at all...ie, I am not doing the Steps), but I compare my awareness of how I react to people/places/things to what the people in AA talk about here. (That all may sound too abstract, but I tried.)

Good stuff.

sleepie 06-09-2010 04:28 PM

I find biking, walking and sticking with positive, strong people to be stimulating to the senses- negativity, discouragement and self righteousness are things I steer clear of :) They are very undesirable attributes and I'm sorry for anyone who feels so low they indulge in them :(

Music 06-09-2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 2621119)
I find biking, walking and sticking with positive, strong people to be stimulating to the senses- negativity, discouragement and self righteousness are things I steer clear of :) They are very undesirable attributes and I'm sorry for anyone who feels so low they indulge in them :(

Take what I say as you wish. Drunks usually do! Like I said....good luck.

Hope4Recovery 06-09-2010 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Music (Post 2621125)
Take what I say as you wish. Drunks usually do! Like I said....good luck.

You do come off a bit self righteous - not the first person i've encountered here putting off the same vibe. To each his own i guess. But, you can't blame a person for not being terribly thrilled to be sitting in a room full of drunks talking about drinking everyday - especially if the person is being put down for not complying with the so-called experts' advice.

For me, the negativity I've observed around here doesn't effect me one way or the other - I couldn't care less. I pretty much dismiss the negative feedback as coming from a negative individual and don't make it about me. The positive feedback is helpful though. This reverse psychology thing I'm not so sure about, but then again, I'm not an expert like some others here. Alcoholics never cease to amaze me (including myself) - sober or not.

Toronto68 06-09-2010 06:06 PM

Well, Music, perhaps you were using an ironic approach to begin with. It sounds like there is just a difference in style going on here.

There is at least one person here I watched like he was JR Ewing at one point, and now I am a big fan. Changes of heart and what-not.

DayTrader 06-09-2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 2620145)

LOL. glad you're doing well. and yeah, I read all of your posts. Sorry if my post to two other ppl upset you in some way. Keep doing your thing. :)

/.keepcomingback.\

TigerLili 06-10-2010 03:13 AM

I used to find that meetings made me want to drink. In the early days, I would go straight to the liquor store from the meeting and sometimes wouldn't even make it out of my car and into my house before I started in.

Someone advised me to listen for the stories of recovery rather than the stories of drinking, or drunkalogues as they are sometimes called. I also try and go to meetings that have a purpose such as 'As Bill Sees It', Steps meetings, Voices in Recovery and so forth, rather than general speakers meetings where people just tell their stories. Listening to people list off what they used to drink and how much fun they had would be hard for me even now. Having said that, I love being sober and my worst day sober is far, far, far better than my best day drinking. Sobriety has given me many gifts.