Notices

I want to drink!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to drink!!!

All I can think about the last couple of days is an ice cold beverage, and today is really bad. I had a nice lunch, saw a movie and read a little... I went to 7 meetings in 6 days and now it's pouring out, if it stops I might go to a meeting later but they bore me to tears and actually make me want to drink! Because at meetings, all anyone does is talk about drinking. I was walking around a market with my roomie today and all I could see were the beautifully packaged, imported and micro brewed beers out for the summer.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sleepie, try to divert your mind: read a book, post and read here, cook something...anything that distracts your mind is the ticket!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sleepie, I understand. During my first day or two on this site, I thought to myself, Geeze, this is making me think about drinking more than a passing thought on my own. I don't really notice it as a result of reading the site anymore.

One thing you could do is remember the documentary you watched the other day. On the flip side, you could think about positive reasons not to drink (which is feeding addiction).

I understand how tastes can vary, but beer is boiled cereal with a hazard in it chilled over. It doesn't have to be that great.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm also freaking out because I can't recall the name of the guy I'm interviewing with tomorrow! I'm so tired and aggravated. I want to relax and I can't. Diversion has been attempted all day long. I am getting ready for another interview tomorrow and I'm wound up so tight I can't think!!! A drink would help- that's my problem, I can think when I drink!
Old 06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This Too Shall Pass

Hi Sleepie, this is day 4 for me but I know what you mean. Its like having an itch that you can't scratch.

But I've had some periods of sobriety before and I know that if you starve the addiction it tends to wither. i.e. the first few days can be pretty tough but the longer you stay sober the easier it will be.

We all drank for various reasons: happy, sad, bored, tired, tough day, angry, happy, habit etc. And when you stop drinking you still experience these states and emotions except without the familiar crutch of alcohol. Not drinking, forces you to confront these things and develop an alternate coping mechanism.

Over time with sobriety you will develop alternate coping mechanisms for just about everything and the fortitude to stay sober when you don't have anything in your bag of tricks. Starve that addiction.

Do you want to be hung over at your interview tomorrow? Do you want to have brain fog? Do you want to have to worry that you are reeking of alcohol? No?

Then don't pick up that first drink.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Hi, seepie! Your struggle is worth to bear.

I still drink coke whenever I want to drink beer. Especially ordinary coke instead of diet coke is better for me. Sugar in coke may satisfy me psychologically. At early stage on my sobriety, sometimes I full my tummy with coke then I give up beer.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, but that's because that's what we conditioned ourselves to do, that's what we made our normal. You're on the path to changing that, so that you can fail an online alcoholism quiz, so to speak.

Hard to explain how to calm down. I had an initial interview the other day (more a networking thing but it still counts), and I was amazed at how calm I managed to be. I don't think I actually did this recently, but in the past I found it helped to smile before an important meeting or speaking in front of a bunch of people. It "restarts" your brain so that you are in a more acceptable mood sometimes. The breathing thing too. They also say to be careful of too much caffeine beforehand.

As far as the guy's name, you have probably already thought of everything, but have you looked through anything that would conjure your memory - were there notes; would looking at what you were wearing when you learned of his name bring it back; picturing where you were sitting, etc etc. You can also think up some ways of doublechecking/researching the name - is he researchable online at the company website or somewhere else it would make sense to find him?

You have to put all your assets in a row and count on yourself. We are really capable of getting through stuff like this when we use the right types of energy inside us
Old 06-06-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey sleepie

You or I or anyone here can drink any time we want...but we all know exactly where we'd end up.

I dunno about you but I don't want to ever have to go through that again.

I'm sorry meetings make you feel like drinking.

Pretty much everything made me feel like drinking when I quit - waking up made me feel like drinking.

I had to get enough days of waking up and then not drinking for that feeling to die.
It did.

It was hard sometimes, but I made it because I knew the other way didn't work for me.

I believe you can do it too
You have a lot of support here, and at AA too I bet.

D
Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found the guy's name! That helps. This is a second interview for the same position- they want me back so now I have to bring it home. My drink of choice is kombucha, all I wanted was a yummy kombucha and my local market had only one flavor left and it was some dreadful green food algae thing... Ick! And it started foaming like diarhhea when I opened it. I paid 4 bucks for it and couldn't drink it It really satisfies my craving, has an extremely low sugar content (I don't like sodas) and is usually flavored with ginger and it's effervescent. It's my fave. But no kombucha today. Grr.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A little practical piece of advice that may or may not apply to your situation--for me, I live in a hot and humid climate during the summer. It is easy to get dehydrated quickly when out in the heat. I find myself occasionally getting an intense craving for an ice cold beer. In reality, my diease is channeling my appropriate urge for water. Again, this could have nothing to do with what your going through. But always a good place to start is to see if you are thirsty for something else, or perhaps hungry.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In the short term it may feel like booze helps but drinking always comes back to bite us in the ass one way or another (financially, socially, occupationally, or health concerns). If you can make it through tonight I promise you'll be stronger tomorrow and feel better about yourself.

I'll keep you in my prayers tonight....xx:ghug3
Old 06-06-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It stopped raining and cooled off a bit so I walked a good distance to the Whole Foods, which always stocks kombucha! I drank it and enjoyed the walk home and spoke with 2 friends on the cell. I'm in the clear for tonight, I'm going to relax and watch Farrah Fawcett kick the snot out of a guy in "Extremeties". Thanks for ALL of your input!
Old 06-06-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

way to go!!! proud of you & keep it up this week
Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Every time I get a craving, I ask for my Higher Power's help, and then I think the drink through to the end. The picture at the end of the evening is never worth it and framing it like that (and asking for help) really relieves me of the craving.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sleepie, what do you think about how it went today? With Mr What's His Name.

I remember Extremities. Farah Fawcett was a pretty good actress. She made me really empathize with the Barbara Hutton character she played for a TV movie about 23 years ago.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking, Toronto! I think it went well... Don't want to jinx myself- keeping my fingers crossed and asking politely of God, Allah, Buddha, Yahweh, Mother Earth, and all the others I don't know to smile upon me :P
Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
All I can think about the last couple of days is an ice cold beverage, and today is really bad. I had a nice lunch, saw a movie and read a little... I went to 7 meetings in 6 days and now it's pouring out, if it stops I might go to a meeting later but they bore me to tears and actually make me want to drink! Because at meetings, all anyone does is talk about drinking. I was walking around a market with my roomie today and all I could see were the beautifully packaged, imported and micro brewed beers out for the summer.
this was the part of AA that drove me nuts. learning about how to stay sober was one thing, but listening to all the newbies obsess and toil about letting go gets maddening after awhile.

i know it's supposed to keep you "green" so to speak, but it can also get a little much for me.

maybe some good ol' fashioned diversion therapy is exactly what you needed. a good Farah movie and some snacks...maybe start painting again?

one artist to another...it will help.

before i got sober, i had almost no time to paint -now, i've got so much time on my hands i'm lost on how to keep diverting myself from the canvas. i just bump around my house most days trying to sneek up behind my easel to find enough courage to really bust out a masterpiece. hahaha

geez...the lengths i'll go to keep myself from being gainfully employed and happy amazes even me. :rotfxko

i'm glad you're sober, and one tool i'll give to you that i got very early on is sort of a diversion technique to a craving.

i was told most people seek relapse because they're
hungry
angry
lonely
or tired

go down the checklist...if you know you're craving try to pinpoint why.

then divert yourself by getting a meal, calling your sponsor or blogging here, going out with some sober friends and getting some rest. most cravings, chemically, only last about 20 minutes. what makes them carry on is that we obsess about the craving and then it leads to tunnel vision which can be very difficult to get out of so you gotta stay busy.

anyway, that's enough out of me. i gotta go fix my daughter some breakfast. Congrats on the week btw.

stay strong
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toronto68 View Post
Sleepie, I understand. During my first day or two on this site, I thought to myself, Geeze, this is making me think about drinking more than a passing thought on my own. I don't really notice it as a result of reading the site anymore.

One thing you could do is remember the documentary you watched the other day. On the flip side, you could think about positive reasons not to drink (which is feeding addiction).

I understand how tastes can vary, but beer is boiled cereal with a hazard in it chilled over. It doesn't have to be that great.

I can really relate to Toronto on this one. My first three days or so on here I really truly felt that it was making me want to drink more than if I just read celebrity news or funny youtube videos.

That left me after a few days and now I visit here and my cravings/thoughts pretty much cease.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ninja7 View Post
Hi, seepie! Your struggle is worth to bear.

I still drink coke whenever I want to drink beer. Especially ordinary coke instead of diet coke is better for me. Sugar in coke may satisfy me psychologically. At early stage on my sobriety, sometimes I full my tummy with coke then I give up beer.
YEP! Only regular soda has been doing it for me. Huge icy Coca-Cola Classics. At all the Mcdonalds here in California, all sizes of fountain drinks are only $1. LOL....not trying to advertise here but I know that the drive through people pretty much know me on a first name basis from the past few days.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sleepie- if you have the number to the interviewer's office- simply call (get someone to call) and ask for the man's name. You can private message me now with the number or name of the place and I'll look it up- call and get the information for you right now. Seriously, I would hate for this to be keeping you upset today. It seems big right now- but because I'm not going through the angst of coming off alcohol- I may be able to take care of this and put it in a calmer perspective. Seriously, send me the number and I'll take care of it foryou. DUH!!!! JUST SAW YOUR POST WAS DAYS AGO- SO GLAD IT WORKED OUT FOR YOU!!!!!!