SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   baldjim saying by for now wish me luck please (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/181524-baldjim-saying-now-wish-me-luck-please.html)

baldjim 07-31-2009 09:25 AM

baldjim saying by for now wish me luck please

i'm off on my hols for two weeks in cyprus

gf's treat for being sober so long

every one i'm going with will be drinking and we will be in bars where people are going to be saying stuff like "go on you are on holiday its only once a year " and just a couple wont hurt you etc

of course this is going to be very hard and very tempting

so how about making a pact with me put your names down and post some good luck wishes and i wont drink either

i have gotten to know some of you guys very well and and your posts have helped me through the bad days when i might of started drinking

this is my ultimate test if i can get through this i will get through anything without drinking

come on guys inspire me ,to be honest i'm more than a little worried

i just keep thinking of how much i'd like to come back in two weeks and tell you guys i never drank :c033:

thanks guys :You_Rock_

Mark75 07-31-2009 09:33 AM

Jim...

I've read some of your posts... I am struck by your honesty and enthusiasm... You have become an asset to SR.

I think you are going to be severely tested...

Take some recovery related reading material... The AA Big Book would be the best, IMO, but take something... Enough to get you through the tough times.

Do things that don't center around drinking. Come back here with 2 more weeks sobriety, OK?

I don't know where at with AA... but.... You'll be in an area with lots of vacationing recovering alkies... Maybe take a meeting list, find some meetings so you can be around sober folks, to balance out all those friends who are gonna be drinking... really, you might be surprised!!

Good Luck

Mark

Charmie 07-31-2009 09:51 AM

hey jim.i agree with cubile.this is going to be a real test for you and im concerned you are going with lots of drinking folks and will be hanging out in bars.i dont mean to put a dampener on things but this could be tricky so early on in sobriety.you are going to have to be extra extra vigillant.ive never heard you mention AA but i too think it would be a good idea for you to find out about meetings over there.if things get tough you can get yourself to a meeting and hang out with sober recovering or recovered alcoholics.and again like cubile said,,,make you sure you do plenty of sober activities.there is a saying ive heard many times around the meetings,if you stay in a barber shop long enough you will get a haircut.im sorry again if you think this message is a bit gloomy,its not intended that way.it is a bit of honesty from one recovering alcoholic to another.i live my life by the 12 step recovery programme and i have no interset in booze anymore but that dosnt mean i would hang out in bars.my other half and i went on a trip recently and the trip was based around sober folk.i hope you have a smashing time jim but please,have an escape route at all times if things get tough,have a plan of action.stay safe and be ever vigillant.take care my friend.

Astro 07-31-2009 09:56 AM

Yep, I agree with what's already been shared. You'll be tested, try to make it to some meetings and take your Big Book with you. And remember, it's OK to say NO if you're offered a drink.

I've taken about 6 vacations in sobriety, trust me when I tell you they're the best ones I've ever had. There's nothing like experiencing a beautiful place when you're clean and sober.

Angel1 07-31-2009 09:56 AM

Hi Jim!
Wow... you're about to embark on a great holiday, but also the test of a lifetime (when it comes to your sobriety).
This truly is the time for you to shine, if you so choose!
Take this as an opportunity to show your true strength & resolve... to show that your sobriety is not a deprivation, but a gift that you have given yourself... and others :) (I sometimes look at my sobriety as a gift I have given to the people around me...their lives are now better because of me being sober).
If you have a streak of stubbornness like I do, use that to your advantage...
when the time seems perfect to have a drink & everyone is prodding you on...what better time to be obstinate & say "No! I don't want a drink!" LOL

least 07-31-2009 10:13 AM

Be strong and don't get sucked into anyone's argument about drinking. You want to be sober, right? So don't drink. I have faith in you. You'll be back in two weeks with two more weeks sober!

Have a good sober time!

JJB 07-31-2009 10:26 AM

Hey have a great time:

"Sea, sex and sun"

certainly don't let alcohol spoil it!!!

:sun2

(hope that was clear enough-don't have a drink or you won't enjoy the sea sex and sun!!!)

TTOSBT 07-31-2009 10:28 AM

I wish you the VERY best on your holiday.
Look at it this way. You already know what it is like to spend your holiday driinking, you have experienced lots of that! BUT you do not know what it is like to spend your holiday completely sober the entire time. So embrace that experience!
Do not feel like you are missing out on anything or being deprived. You are not and you will have the BEST time!!!!

NEOMARXIST 07-31-2009 10:29 AM

Tell everysingle person you are with, from the outset, that you are an ALCOHOLIC and must not drink under any circumstance. I think that's how I would aproach the subject so that they will feel guilty from the outset if you take a drink or if they push a drink on you.

This is gonna be a mega challenge, realistically a lot of these type holidays centre around bars/drinking. When you are feeling like an ice cold beer in that 35 centigrade heat, order a pint of coca-cola or an ice-cream or something and by the time that is down you won't feel like a beer.

Think how great you will feel if you get back in 2 weeks and are still 100% sober. Just keep reminding yourself of that. Once you have a few beers or whatever you may have a real nice drunk (what with the holiday atmosphere and hot sun) and before you know it is right back in your life again. Won't be such a great drunk on a freezing cold dark November evening though.

All the best.

NewBeginning010 07-31-2009 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by baldjim (Post 2315273)

i just keep thinking of how much i'd like to come back in two weeks and tell you guys i never drank :c033:

thanks guys :You_Rock_

I cant wait to read your positive post about your vacation & how much fun you had as well as the challenges that you successfully faced with alcohol.

Keep thinking about the great post your going to share with us when you get back, we will be waiting for it & your safe return.

Have a Great Trip!

NB

:ring:

Sugah 07-31-2009 10:47 AM

Sug chiming in -- Don't drink!

Peace & Love,
Sugah

NewBeginning010 07-31-2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Angel1 (Post 2315300)
Hi Jim!
Wow... you're about to embark on a great holiday, but also the test of a lifetime (when it comes to your sobriety).
This truly is the time for you to shine, if you so choose!
Take this as an opportunity to show your true strength & resolve... to show that your sobriety is not a deprivation, but a gift that you have given yourself... and others :) (I sometimes look at my sobriety as a gift I have given to the people around me...their lives are now better because of me being sober).
If you have a streak of stubbornness like I do, use that to your advantage...
when the time seems perfect to have a drink & everyone is prodding you on...what better time to be obstinate & say "No! I don't want a drink!" LOL

Had to quote this after reading... thanks Angel1 ;-)

After reading this thread I started to wonder if there were alcohol free resorts (not free as in all you can drink lol)

It would be great to away to a beautiful spot & not have to deal with alcohol & annoying drunks. I will have to do a search....

smacked 07-31-2009 11:08 AM

Yikes, I wouldn't see it as a treat if all it would be was to be around drinking drinking drinking!

Stay strong friend.

NewBeginning010 07-31-2009 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by NewBeginning010 (Post 2315350)
Had to quote this after reading... thanks Angel1 ;-)

After reading this thread I started to wonder if there were alcohol free resorts (not free as in all you can drink lol)

It would be great to away to a beautiful spot & not have to deal with alcohol & annoying drunks. I will have to do a search....

Ok, I found one sober vacation site, I think this would be a good thread as well. It would be great to have a wonderful vacation & not be around alcohol.

Here is the one I found Sober Vacations International - since 1987

tyler 07-31-2009 11:14 AM

Alright Jim, I've been strugling lately taking the occasional drink, once or twice a week, but I'll comitt to the two weeks with you!! Alcohol is not my primary DOC, but it really serves no positive purpose in my life either. Cost's money, adds to my already ample belly, buries emotions, don't feel as motivated in the AM, etc. So I aboard with you. Now if I could just come with you on that vacation....:c031:

DJ1 07-31-2009 11:25 AM

Jim
you can do this it will be a huge test but remeber how you feel today & how you used to feel waking up hung over not knowing what was said & done!! now you can see from the other side you will have a fantastc time but be strong I am pulling for you
see you here when you get back still a sober Jim :c014:

coffeenut 07-31-2009 11:26 AM

Yeah...you're gonna have to be tough, no doubt about it. Are you up for it? Is there even the tiniest bit of you that is thinking about drinking when you go?

I have found.....being around drunks isn't near as fun when I'm sober....in fact, I start to feel sorry for them. It doesn't make me want to drink, it makes me very thankful for my sobriety.

Know in your head, before you even go, that you are NOT going to drink. You just aren't.

I don't get this part though, Jim...why is your gf giving you a trip for being sober, that drinking is going to be so prevalent at?

Stay safe.

TTOSBT 07-31-2009 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by coffeenut (Post 2315382)
Yeah...you're gonna have to be tough, no doubt about it. Are you up for it? Is there even the tiniest bit of you that is thinking about drinking when you go?

I have found.....being around drunks isn't near as fun when I'm sober....in fact, I start to feel sorry for them. It doesn't make me want to drink, it makes me very thankful for my sobriety.

Know in your head, before you even go, that you are NOT going to drink. You just aren't.

I don't get this part though, Jim...why is your gf giving you a trip for being sober, that drinking is going to be so prevalent at?

Stay safe.

Hey, good point coffee!!!!
Whats up with that? :)

nocoincidence56 07-31-2009 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by coffeenut (Post 2315382)

Stay safe.

I wish you the best on your trip.
I feel, imho, the sincerity of the give seems genuine; the reality of it may be questionable.. Have some sort of bail out plan should things go wrong... We will be waiting to hear from you....:DA

smacked 07-31-2009 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by TTOSBT (Post 2315386)
Hey, good point coffee!!!!
Whats up with that? :)

Exactly my point!

That's like my hubby taking me to the donut shop to celebrate eating so healthy and not being able to eat a donut!