SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Afraid to comment on my progess (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/180253-afraid-comment-my-progess.html)

Waterman 07-12-2009 02:43 AM

Afraid to comment on my progess

I meant to spell "progress" above...It's been a good few days, and I am thankful. I'll be working alone for about 15 hours today, so that will be a "test". I just think about how great it would be to be 'out of the woods'. Y'all have a good day.......

baldjim 07-12-2009 03:26 AM

i'm still not drinking ... it cant be physical addiction now approaching 7 weeks

but part of me just wants to get drunk even though i would be devastated if i fell off of the wagon ...strange the way your mind plays games with you aint it ,you are doing really well hang in there :c033::c033:

Nevertheless 07-12-2009 07:58 AM

http://www.healthrecovery.com/HRC_2006/SevenWeeks.htm
I tried to install a link, but it isn't working

hendershot 07-13-2009 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by baldjim (Post 2293574)
it cant be physical addiction now approaching 7 weeks

I am not a Doctor, so I only know what others have told me or I have read. But I think it depends on how you define "physical" addiction. I think you mean acute withrawal, that is that the bloodstream has gotten most of the alcy out. This is far from ending any kind of physical addiction though. In terms of brain chemistry, changes in dopamine levels and stuff, that takes months to go back to normal. "Flare-ups" of neurological cravings are physical in nature, in that it isn't merely an emotional or situational response, and can occur for over a year of sobriet intermittently for some.
Also, those who espouse the mainstream disease theory, liken addiction to the flipping of a switch in the part of the brain that manages stress. So that in the future, stress provoking situations trigger physical cravings for alcohol/drugs. Addiction rewires the brain to equate being high/drunk with survival instincts. Further, once the switch is thrown it is impossible to unthrow it. Addiction then, in a "physical"/disease form lasts for our entire lives if we are indeed addicts. Sorry for the long-winded post, I find this stuff kind of interesting.

baldjim 07-14-2009 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by hendershot (Post 2295653)
I am not a Doctor, so I only know what others have told me or I have read. But I think it depends on how you define "physical" addiction. I think you mean acute withrawal, that is that the bloodstream has gotten most of the alcy out. This is far from ending any kind of physical addiction though. In terms of brain chemistry, changes in dopamine levels and stuff, that takes months to go back to normal. "Flare-ups" of neurological cravings are physical in nature, in that it isn't merely an emotional or situational response, and can occur for over a year of sobriet intermittently for some.
Also, those who espouse the mainstream disease theory, liken addiction to the flipping of a switch in the part of the brain that manages stress. So that in the future, stress provoking situations trigger physical cravings for alcohol/drugs. Addiction rewires the brain to equate being high/drunk with survival instincts. Further, once the switch is thrown it is impossible to unthrow it. Addiction then, in a "physical"/disease form lasts for our entire lives if we are indeed addicts. Sorry for the long-winded post, I find this stuff kind of interesting.

great post :scoregood

gravity 07-14-2009 01:22 PM

When I was about 11 months sober (I'm 19 months sober now), it seemed that very few people wanted to comment on my upcoming one year sobriety aniversary. I was getting nervous, not wanting to project into the future.

I was misinterpreting "one day at a time." It's not "don't drink one day at a time" - it's "stay spiritually fit one day at a time." Big difference.

Anyway, at this time I received a phone call from an older gentleman who would hit 6 months sobriety at about the same time as my one year anniversary. Point blank he said: "I'm going to get to six months and you are going to get to one year, right?"

I felt like a weight was lifted. Someone actually showing that kind of confidence in himself & in me. I didn't have to be scared. I could be certain that provided I practiced my program, I would be just fine.

We do get "out of the woods". We do recover.

How about that! :)

chip 07-14-2009 04:04 PM

Good work, Waterman. Keep us posted. Congrats on your sober time.
chip