SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/adult-children-addicted-alcoholic-parents/)
-   -   21 day challenge-Complaint free world (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/adult-children-addicted-alcoholic-parents/123677-21-day-challenge-complaint-free-world.html)

Rowan 06-14-2007 12:02 PM

Very cool idea! I'm going to give this a try! Do I have to snap an elastic band on my wrist or bang my head against a wall each time I mess up? I'm not complaining, mind you ;)

cali 06-14-2007 12:07 PM

;) Rowan

GiveLove:I've noticed during this time that I've had some really cool, strong, and fun people just come up and talk to me for no reason. It's like I had a negative force-field keeping them away before !
I absolutely 100% believe that I have had the same experience....the "socially inept" feeling...being positive sure does dispell a lot of that! :)

utopia 06-21-2007 11:12 PM

amen give love, like thoughts attract like thoughts

mushroom 06-22-2007 12:07 PM

utopia, what a wonderful idea. I'm going to try it too! this will be a bit of a challenge as my favorite coworker's favorite topic of conversation is to complain about the others! I'll just have to set a good example for him I guess.

How's everyone's success going?

GiveLove 06-22-2007 12:36 PM

mushroom,

The first 21 days were really hard! (fact, not complaint :) ) But the second haven't been as hard. I guess it's like anything....once you acquire the habit it's easier.....we'll see!

good luck,
GiveLove

mushroom 06-24-2007 08:32 PM

So, what's the difference between a complaint and a statement?? I don't know if I've already blown it or not.

GiveLove 06-25-2007 01:36 PM

Dunno. I posted an example from MY life, for what it's worth, above. A statement is constructive: this is happening, it isn't what I'd hoped for, and this is how I would like it to change (if it's something that can't change, like someone else's hammering, and you're STILL griping about it, that's a complaint)

But I'm just a little army of one. I guess everyone's different. The dividing line for me is inside, when I voice a complaint:
Hey, I hate this, somebody:
make it better for me
and/or feel sorry for me
and/or get mad with me
and/or hate the same people/things I do.

There's no thought of a solution, just the quest for attention and commiseration. I know when I'm doing it....hard to explain to somebody else though.

GL

utopia 07-02-2007 11:48 PM

bravo give love, i am on day 3 again, lol. yes this is true.
now to be anal

state·ment /ˈsteɪtmənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[steyt-muhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. something stated.
2. a communication or declaration in speech or writing, setting forth facts, particulars, etc.
3. a single sentence or assertion: I agree with everything you said except for your last statement.
4. Commerce. an abstract of an account, as one rendered to show the balance due.
5. an appearance of a theme, subject, or motif within a musical composition.
6. the act or manner of stating something.
7. the communication of an idea, position, mood, or the like through something other than words: The furniture in the room makes a statement about the occupant's love of color. Walking out of the meeting will be a statement of our refusal to submit.
8. Computers. an instruction or other elementary component in a high-level programming language.

com·plaint /kəmˈpleɪnt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuhm-pleynt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. an expression of discontent, regret, pain, censure, resentment, or grief; lament; faultfinding: his complaint about poor schools.
2. a cause of discontent, pain, grief, lamentation, etc.
3. a cause of bodily pain or ailment; malady: The doctor says I suffer from a rare complaint.
4. Law. the first pleading of the plaintiff in a civil action, stating the cause of action.

utopia 07-02-2007 11:50 PM

maybe a little simpler.

to complain is to;
1. to express dissatisfaction, pain, uneasiness, censure, resentment, or grief; find fault: He complained constantly about the noise in the corridor.
2. to tell of one's pains, ailments, etc.: to complain of a backache.

to state is to:
19. to declare definitely or specifically: She stated her position on the case.
20. to set forth formally in speech or writing: to state a hypothesis.
21. to set forth in proper or definite form: to state a problem.
22. to say.
23. to fix or settle, as by authority.

so i gather that a statement is a declaration of something without any judgement behind it, a complaint is a negative perception of something that is being declared.

ie today is hot is a statement
but god its so bloody hot today isnt it!! or god i hate this heat is a complaint to me. but thats up to you in the end.

GiveLove 07-03-2007 08:43 PM

Oh, Utopia, you wonderful word geek (and I mean that as the most sincere compliment you can imagine!!!!! )

One thing I was startled by when I was traveling in Australia was how many Word Geeks I had the pleasure of hooking up with....in pubs, on beaches, on buses and boats (oops, I sound like Dr. Seuss)..... :D Two workmen arguing about the meaning of some obscure linguistic thing...hilarious...

Anyway, thanks for being WAY more articulate than I ever could about this!

GL, not complaining but making a LOT OF LOUD STATEMENTS :)

utopia 07-07-2007 10:13 PM

oh dear god, i feel like giving up this experiement. day 2