SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/adult-children-addicted-alcoholic-parents/)
-   -   21 day challenge-Complaint free world (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/adult-children-addicted-alcoholic-parents/123677-21-day-challenge-complaint-free-world.html)

utopia 05-15-2007 11:51 PM

21 day challenge-Complaint free world

I saw on oprah something about a small community trying to go 21 days without complaning, they used this wristband etc.ended up happier, i thought it would be a cool thing to try. today is day one and i really do like to complain!!! lol. apparently it takes about 21 days to break some habits. im up for this. who wants to join me. if you end up complaining you start again, i am at 12:55pm today (16 may) starting again from that time as day 1 lol. and if you spot out someone elses complaining and say something on the 21 day challenge, then YOU are complaning!!! good for detachment. i want to try this and will be very interested at how it may change me and my attiude and life and by focusing on the good rather than complaning and believe the law of attraction for goodness will be even stronger? if you think its just a comment, not a complaint, its up to u and ur intention. it reminds me of the alanon fake it till u make it. anyway, whos with me? im going for it baby, one day at a time. DAY ONE. :accj:

citychick 05-16-2007 12:25 AM

I'll take up the challenge Utopia. I've got 5.21pm, on the 16th of May. And it will be a challenge, as it's coming up dinner time at my place.

Sunlight81 05-16-2007 07:49 PM

21 days?

"You're a better man than I, Gungadin."

21 days? I have trouble going 21 minutes. I love the idea, judgment and criticism sour too many of my moments. On my best days, my heart is open 60% of the time. Most days less than 50%, some days much, much less.

I do want to share an idea that I got from Robert Burney and he got it from someone else. You have 7 seconds to take back a negative thought. #1 it shows that you are paying attention which is an uncommon blessing and #2 you won't have to start over 100 times a day.

God bless you both.

I previewed that and it reminded me that I like starting over.

You guys melt my heart.

citychick 05-17-2007 01:15 AM

didn't make two hours!!! oh well, it's a process....

2stop 05-18-2007 06:00 PM

I love this!! Am going to try it.......

May 18, 2007 and it is 9:00pm

GingerM 05-19-2007 06:54 AM

I really like the idea, but for now I think I may have to wait until my life situation changes. Yesterday I had to put my beloved dog down. Monday I have to fire someone. I think this would be a bad time to attempt such an endeavor - I'd be setting myself up for failure.

utopia 05-21-2007 09:00 PM

ok im up to day two starting from 8 am this morning. 22 may. lol, im amazed at how much energy i channel into the rage of negativity. only day two but i can already feel major shifts going on. this is the perfect time because it has come into my life for a reason and its good for me. no complaints! lol.

Spiritual Seeker 05-21-2007 10:16 PM

No complaints from me startin' right now.. I'm sure I can go 21 days
Starting May 21 Thanks for getting me focused on the positive

Ahimsa 05-24-2007 06:48 AM

What a great challenge :0) I think in the "no complaining" I am going to focus on not being critical and judgemental. Here we go!! May 24th, 10am....

Easeful 05-24-2007 02:33 PM

Totally cool, I'm in.

I haven't been reading here for a while and yesterday I had to have a minor medical procedure. The tech apoligized repeatedly for the temperature of the room, the noise of the equipment, the amount of pressure, etc. I told her each time, "Not to worry, I'm fine." She finally laughed and said, "I just can't get you to complain, can I?" It felt really good to hear her say that.

And then today, I read your challenge. I'm so up for this.

GiveLove 05-28-2007 07:04 PM

I'm in too. May 28 8:00pm MST.
I'll bet that complaining can almost always be rechanneled into something productive. I think it's one thing to be deeply unhappy about something bad that happens but quite another to try to make ourselves feel better by complaining, by slinging blame and anger around.

Getting rid of complaining sounds like I'm taking responsibility for my own life and my own decisions -- all of them. I'm going to try, anyway, and we'll see how it goes!!!! Thanks utopia!

GL
P.S. So sorry about your dog, (((Ginger))), gosh I'm so sorry

utopia 06-05-2007 07:33 PM

ok, im glad to say this is DAY 7. my first week, perhaps in my entire life?? where i have not complained!!! its funny i have caught myself as a complaint, a gripe or such other is brewing, ready to formulate. always over something that has happened previously over which i have little to no control to do anything about!!! lol. im amazed still at the increase in energy and how it feels that the energy that makes up my body is feeling better, lighter almost. interesting. im also laughing a bit more at other people getting very serious and agitated over what i see for me as petty grievances that i used to once also gripe about. i have my little wristband on which is helping me and sending thoughts of love to other worriers/complainers and a lot of prayers to my higher power to replace the potential gripes with something that would be loving in its intention. hahahaha. good luck and god bless guys and gals xxx

best 06-05-2007 08:57 PM

Just a guess but I think by day 18 a few people in that country will be complaining because day 21 isn't here yet *LOL*

Life sure does go smoother when we look for the good and stop complaining.

Easeful 06-06-2007 04:10 AM

Starting over again, 7:00am June 6. No wait make that 11:00pm June 5th. I've only made it a day or two at a time. But I've been come much more aware of how much of my "conversation" is a litany of complaints.

citychick 06-07-2007 06:59 AM

Decided not to be judgemental or critical two days ago. I'd forgotten about this thread, so coming across it again tonight has reinforced my decision.

GiveLove 06-08-2007 07:04 PM

Doing good so far. I've come real close a few times but have caught myself, and re-thought things so they're statements rather than complaints:

"I'll be glad when they are finished with that construction project; it will be a lot less noisy then." rather than, "God, I hate those stupid hammers, they're driving me nuts."

It's so hard!!!!!!!!!!! But it feels a lot better to be in my skin. I don't feel like such a negative witch.

utopia 06-12-2007 04:53 AM

amen people. lol i laugh because i relate. ok so i busted over something. obviously such a big deal cos i cant remember!!! day 6 again. i will do this!!!

cali 06-13-2007 07:05 AM

I would love to try this. What a wonderful challange!!!!! :)
edited to say I will try this---day 1 today

cali 06-14-2007 10:35 AM

I thought about this thread several times yesterday. I think I tend to be more negative in my head than anything else so I have to be extra vigilant.
I am in it for another day-
also I have purposefully stayed OUT of conversations that are not conducive to positive thinking which then effects healthy living (for me).
also this comes at a good time because my emotions have been very raw so this brings me back to "starting where I stand" with some hope.

GiveLove 06-14-2007 11:56 AM

Go Cali Go!!! :)

Your signature line is so right. Your thoughts DO create your reality I think.
If you keep your thoughts stewing in a simmering pot of negativity (as a lot of us acoa types do) you will attract more negativity to you.

I've noticed during this time that I've had some really cool, strong, and fun people just come up and talk to me for no reason. It's like I had a negative force-field keeping them away before !

Hugs to everybody
GiveLove