View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 08:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
iou1na
is Clean!, not sober

Originally Posted by Blake
... What I'd like to know is this, WHAT PURPOSE DOES A SPECIAL INTEREST MEETING SERVE THAT COULDN'T (PROBABLY BETTER) BE SERVED THROUGH SPONSORSHIP AND FELLOWSHIPING?
.. What has been found in my Area is that a SIG (SpecialInterestGroup) can help a newcomer feel comfortable and then can travel outwards to other groups to discover even greater recovery. A SIG probably wouldn't work in an Area without 2 or more meetings every single night. That allows choice.
.. SIGs have come and gone around here for many years. Women's, Men's, In Times of Illness, GLBT, etc. No individual SIG has survived the test of time. Except in a large meeting here that splits down into SIGs, and has done so for many years and survived! Why? Because it begins Together and ends Together.
.. What you said above, Blake, is probably correct. That is probably why SIGs do not survive long in my area. The SIG serves its purpose, and then the addicts move on. To other groups. To become sponsors. To help other recovering addicts. And maybe, just maybe...... because of a Special Interest Group.

Originally Posted by Blake
About the bullitens, if only 24 regions voted on them, and all the other regions abstained, wouldn't those abstensions count as a NO vote? How many regions were around back then anyway? Did all 24 regions that voted, vote yes?
.. It was just a survey, not a vote or group conscience issue, just a survey. 48 Regions were polled, 24 replied. That is what the bulletin was based on, just a question or 2. Read it, it's quite interesting.
.. hehe, I was so terribly young in my recovery when the question came out that I was ready to fly down to Van Nuys and tell them World Services folk who what where when AND why they should do things. Then I'd tell 'em how to do it.
.. ah well, this question was asked 17 years ago and I'd bet my last medallion (before I give it away) that it'll be asked again. Me? I just gotta learn to stop rummaging thru my old type-written Area minutes just to prove to someone that that question was already asked and answered, goshdarn it!!!