Old 07-31-2006, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blake
I'm an addict.

I deffinately don't take offence to anything you said, and I can relate to alot of it, so please don't take any offence to this,

Your post seems to be filled with anger and ego and pride. These are all bad things that hurt you more than you'd think. I know b/c I have some of the very same issues. I am an intelligent person and I want people to know that, I can get into the habit of over explainging stuff, using unessecary vocabulary, making obscure references to drive home the fact to the people around me "hey, I'm smarter than you". I don't think I intentionally mean to be a jack ass like that, but it's hard wired into me. Since I was young, I was allways told how smart I was and it made me feel good. It felt good to be put into the accelerated gifeted and talented program, it felt good that my teachers allowed me to sleep in class since I made A's on all the tests anyway, it felt good to be able to spout off facts about most subjects that would help my peers and save them time in their work, it felt good that they took my word for fact if I said something was true. It felt good to feel needed.

I still have these habits, I am notorious for my debating prowess and most people I know just drop a discussion rather than debate me, I have to allways be right. I get angry with people when they can't learn as fast as me, or ask what I consider to be "stupid questions"....these are all defects of my character that I don't particularly care for. I am happy that I am intelligent, I just wish I wasn't so self-arrogant about it sometimes. What has helped me is to just bite my tongue sometimes. I can't control the thoughts that come to me, but I can control what comes out of my mouth. Sometimes I let people just run with ideas that are wrong if it would serve no purpose in correcting them other than inflating my ego....I'm still working on that.

Part of putting together a good presentation is to make it what the audience is looking for. If the audience says that your presentations are too complicated, then it's your job to make them more concise and paletable. It take great skill to put together a complex presentation going over every thing in great detail, it takes even more intelligence to be able to take that presentation and get the same info accross without in a simple format that is easily digestible by the audience. Sometimes people see drawn out stuff as a weakness "why did she have to tell us all that, she could grasp it enough to make it simpler?"

SOmetimes it's better to say water rather than dihydrogen monoxide, ya know?

(disclaimer: this post is solely in response to the first post, I haven't read anything else on this thread, as suggested before)