Thread: I'm challenged
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 05:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
historyteach
To Life!

Well, Autumn,
I think if you went to an AA meeting or forum and expressed that the idea of a HP was poppycock, that would not be received very well. It doesn't prevent one from doing it though, now does it? I think it's really a matter of respect.

Are you saying that talk of religion/G*D is AA/NA rhetoric? If so, I would disagree honestly and respectfully.

I think, as we navagate the paremeters of this new forum, there's a lot of people who don't understand it too. It seems as if many have different thoughts on what secularism means. Some, as Paul points out think it's a place to bash religion.

I'm clearly a person who believes in and practices a particular faith. And I have no problems stating the fact that I believe in G*D. Yet, intellectually, I am satisfied searching for secular solutions and meanings in this world. Ironically, it "fits" with my faith. And it's a great mental exercise too.

And, until we reach a conclusion about what *secular* means to us, there will continue to be confusion as to how it's expressed on the board. Right now, I look to how things are expressed -- ie, is it respectful disagreement? Is it a bash against a particular religion? Is it a legitimate questioning of an aspect of faith? Or, is it a humanistic concern without reference to religion at all? (More to my mind of what it should be to begin with.) It's also likely that we won't ever come to a perfect definition of secular, as these boards are fluid; new members with the same misunderstandings will continue, (G*D willing), to grace our boards and search with the same tools for meaning in their lives.

It is also likely that our members need to vent out their disappointments in their religious experience too. Many of us have experienced it alone. With the added issue of drug and alcohol addictions, I think it's a great idea to give a safe haven to explore these issues. I've seen it happen on this forum already; I've seen a better understanding and a growth result from that questioning; letting go of poisonous beliefs and tentatively accepting new ideas -- subject to further investigation. So, positive things can come out of that questioning based in disappointment. I know my path took a sharp turn as a result of that questioning myself.

Does this help? I hope so. IF not, please continue to post your concern until it is addressed.

Shalom!