View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 04:06 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
paulmh

It can be hard going to overcome that prejudice can't it Five.

I'l bite on this and come back. If AA does not require any religous beliefs, how come you have to believe in a God that has a will, that removes defects of character, who you pray to, who you have to be humble to, who you have to get honest to.
AA works because of the changes it encourages the individual to embrace. This works independently of the nature of the universe. We try to be humble and honest, for ourselves, not "to" anything. We try to understand what we have power over and what we don't and in the same way that a Catholic would put it in God's hands, or a Taoist would be serene in trying to live according to the Tao rather than fighting against it - oh and incidentally, a mechanical determinist would be calm in the face of the universal unfolding - so we leanr to have a more balanced, less struggling - less egotistical -attitude towards the universe. As for defects of character, yes I do pray to have them removed. It is an emotional preparedness for "letting go" of them. I don't expect to have them taken away by G*d, and accroding to most of the people I meet in AA neither do they.

It is an honest response to the disease of alcoholism. It is the start of a process of going beyond one's own prejudices and bigotry and isolation, and making one's self vulnerable - and open - to change. It is a recognition that I own my condition, and I will do what I can to offset it's effects.