View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 01:01 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
paulmh

Don S said:

Wow! So atheists are self-obsessed, prideful, egotists? Who think they are gods? No wonder you don't feel comfortable in this forum.
What a piece of obfuscation.

The thread is about going to AA or not. Yet again, there is a bigotry among people that AA is religious. Yet again other people try to come out and suggest that for the alcoholic who wants to recover it is important to see beyond the language, and find the action.

In response to you Don - it's in the nature of how we hold a belief. Religious beliefs - and secular beliefs - are a source of comfort and warmth to lots of sane, well-balanced people. Religious bigotry - and secular bigotry - are a source of confirmation of righteous anger for a lot of less well balanced people. Some people hold a belief and understand it to be personal. Some people hold a belief and imagine it to be knowledge. It doesn't matter whether it's theistic or atheistic. If it's held as confirmation of prejudice it's unhealthy. And for this alcoholic, yes, I was and am a self-obssessed, prideful egotist. If you're not, good for you. Bu claiming to be a secularist doesn't automatically rid anyone of their religious prejudices.. If one claims to "know" the nature of the universe, I think we can call that Pride though. And incidentally, claiming to know that it's ~NT G*d or ~OT G*D or indeed ~bowl on the back of a tortoise is stretching "know" into realms of useage where "know" doesn't belong. As is "I know that G*D doesn't exist so that's a good reason for you not to go to AA"

And to come back to the point of the thread. **** Ma asked about a first AA experience. Yet again someone said they don't go because it's all about G*d. So yet again I say - it's all about therapy. Lol, SECULAR therapy!