View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Derameth
Friend of Angels

New to this Forum.

Hi everyone. I am Derameth. I am an alcoholic in recovery. I have been sober for almost 5 years. I would love to say that I never think about drinking again, but that would be a lie. While I don't think a lot about it, I do think about it. I wonder why I can't drink like others, those social drinkers that have "a" beer or a drink. I don't ruminate on it very long, else it would drive me bonkers.

I never could just stop at one beer. Or Two or three. It was always until I was very very drunk. This started while in my early 20's and continued until my late 20's when I became pregnant with my first child. I did not relapse into this abyss until after my youngest was about 4, so I was about 38. I kept that drinking up for many more years. While I never lost work because of my drinking, I know that I did not always perform at the best of my abilities because I was hung over. Too many times I can remember that I drove while impaired, no, I was drunk, and one time I had my three young kids in the car. I was so drunk I had to stop at a rest stop and sleep for an hour or so while my kids stayed with me in the car. Sheesh, what was I thinking eh?

Over the years, I have learned that there is, for me, no such thing as just one drink. I have grown and developed into a person that I am proud of, and one that will be more than happy to extend a hand to those that might need it.

If you read my posts in the future you will find me intelligent, charming, witty and most importantly *ahem* Humble.
I also am someone that has become stronger as a spirit because of my addiction, and while I am not easily offended, rather I am thick skinned, I am also a champion of the weak.

So anyway, here I am...hoping to enjoy this community.