View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blake
I'm an addict.

I'm somewhat agnostic....deffinately not religious.....and I go to NA and it has saved my life. Recovery is supposed to be a spiritual process not a religious one. If you can get around the semantics used, 12 step programs are some of the greatest weapons addicts have against addiction.

THere is alot of "god" talk in meetings, but it also says that what is meant is god, as we understood him. So you can choose anything to be that power greater than yourself. I personally use the program of NA, itself, as that power greater than myself...and it's worked so far. I have grown a whole whole lot since I got clean.

Any one bible thumping at meeting is a poor poor misguided soul and they don't have a grasp on their recovery and should be ignored.

I think you'll be supprised how many people in recoveryare decidedly not religious....I'd say it's the majority (at least in my area it is).

Good Luck and congrats on the 44 days.

(there is a post or two on my blog (address in my sig) about this. the most recent one is called "ya gotta have faith" and the older one I think is called "one agnostic junky's view of the whole higher power concept of NA" or something like that.....all of it's just personal opinion, but it has helped me)