View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BeerNut

New here - Day 1

Hello all. I am new here. This is my first day of what I plan to be the rest of my life without drinking. I can't begin to count the number of times I have said that but I have reached a point where the struggle is so great that I just can't really see continuing on the way things are. My drink of choice is beer, although I'll take whatever you've got in a pinch. I have reached a point where I'm drinking 12 to 15 beers a day - which is amazing, embarassing, and disgusting all at the same time. I have been able to quit drinking for days at a time in the past - I went for 7 days without a drink recently. When I did drink again the next day, it was like that 7 days never happened - right back to 15 beers. I have read through a few posts and I do gain some encouragement that it seems most of us experience the same symptoms, and that gives me hope that if others can do it then I can too. I see that 2 weeks is kind of the bar that is set to "get my head right", and that is my current goal - although not drinking today is tops on my list. I quit drinking for a month a few years ago. I went to a party and a (former) "friend" of mine badgered me until I took a drink, and that was it, I was back off the wagon. I don't intend to make that mistake this time.

If you have any advice for me I'd appreciate it, and thank you all for being here.