Thread: screwed up
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 09:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
chip

Hey Jeff-
Don't beat yourself up bro. You got 2 weeks in, and you can use that for a base for your next attempt. Try and learn from your mistake. That boss of yours sounds like a real jerk. You are better off not working for a guy who uses pressure tactics like that.

As far as your slip, it sounds to me like you should't go out to a bar if you want to stay sober. It's too hard not to drink when everyone is drinking in front of you, and you are at a bar. If you really want to quit, consider avoiding slippery people and places.

In response to what you said about it feeling like punishment not to drink....

I feel for you because I've been in the same spot as you. I've felt like I can't keep drinking, but I've gotta keep drinking. I've felt like there was no nice way out. I felt like I lost my best friend when I first quit drinking.

If sobriety "sucks", why quit drinking? I'm playing the devil's advocate here, and I don't recommend that you keep drinking. It's proven that some alcoholic's "bottoms" are underground...in the grave. Someone once told me that if I wasn't really into getting sober, I should just keep drinking untill I was really ready. Some people arn't ready to embrace sobriety because they havnt' been beaten down enough. I hope you don't let the booze beat you down any lower. I don't think you, or me, need to go any lower.

You know what sucks? Quitting drinking when you don't have any other way to cope. Sobriety is a wonderful gift. Being a "dry drunk" sucks. They say that contented sobriety is much more than just being dry.... I believe them. I hope one day I can say I've learned to cope without drinking. I'm working on it, but it's hard. I hope you can find answers which will help you.

I hope you can keep working at it. I hope you can feel better, and get back on track. You arn't alone, and lot's of us have relapses, falls and scrapes. Keep at it...it will get better.
chip