View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 01:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
paulmh

The other bit about "control" that helps me, and I always seem to fail to explain it adequately, is that when I understand a bit better what I can and cannot control I gain peace via acceptance of situations, situations which previously left me frustrated, angry, upset, guilty, whatever. I had inappropriate emotional reactions to the world, reacting emotionally to things that I had no control over whatsoever. So beginning to learn how to "let go" of situations which used to harm me has immense therapeutic value for me - in other words, it makes me happier, lighter, more carefree, more appropriate in how I take the world. This "letting go" is done without any notion of what I let go "to". So I think we have this discussion about God and "turning it over" on the wrong terms sometimes. We ask constantly, "what am I supposed to turn things over to?" and then off we go on a little metaphysical kite flying. It's the wrong approach. There is "me". And there is "not-me". I turn things over to "not-me". It can do what it likes - or what it can - with my crap. And equally I think I share with you this experience of getting to AA or NA at a point were we were out of choices about how to get clean or sober. It is that crisis of self that changes us from someone with a substance problem who thinks they can fix it themself, to someone in the type of recovery that the fellowships offer, which is based upon "letting go of the need to be right", the biggest "leting go" going.

Paul