Thread: Humanist Steps
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 06:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
kali ma

Thank you for this post, Don. I have had trouble with the AA twelve steps because it is difficult for me to believe that there is a higher power. If there is, I don't, at this point in time, have a strong enough belief in him/her/it to turn my alcohol addiction over to him/her/it. These are steps I can relate to. Someone also sent a PM to me that had the pagan twelve steps, which I LOVE. They take the basic premise of the AA twelve steps, and somewhat reword them so they apply to pagan values. They are as follows:

1. We admitted we had a problem and that we were squandering our power.
2. Came to believe we could realign the power within and the power without such that each served to enhance the other.
3. Made a decision to connect the powers within and without and see them as One.
4. Took an intelligent look at our behavior, seeing its relationship to family patterns and dysfunctional culture.
5. Shared our searching with others, seeking feedback.
6. Made myself ready and willing to let go of old patterns.
7. Learned to ask for help.
8. Made a list of harm done, and searched for ways to restore balance.
9. Carried out rectification and balancing wherever possible.
10. Made the commitment to continue the process of recovery, knowing that change takes time.
11. Pursued the strengthening of our connection with the web of life through appropriate activity and spiritual practice.
12. Having experienced a stabilized change from our awakening, we sought to help others along the path.

They also add these steps:

13. I examine my life story and my addiction (and codependency) in the context of my role in a patriarchal, capitalistic system.
14. I use the events life brings as lessons for growth and accept my mistakes as part of my humanness.
15. We grow in our awareness that we are sacred beings, interrelated with all living things and, when ready, take an active part in helping the planet become a better place for all people including ourselves.

I think that some people are getting offended because we are not all following the same steps to sobriety. I think that, like someone told me at the beginning, take what you find applicable, and leave the rest...