Thread: DIY Recovery
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lilya

Hello everybody,

I posted a brief story of how I stopped on my own by answering Don S. three questions in this forum. I was on every drug I can imagine awailable from 1973-1986, but Cokaine, Marijuana and alchohol were my drugs of choice.

I went on cold turkey. Got rid of the Cocaine alone and by myself without any support, but I used Valium and alcohol to lessen the terrible withdrawal syndroms. I think I will never, ever forget how terrible that was and I firmly believe I cannot touch Coke again after that battle. I was offered it after I got clean, but the feeling of my bloody nose and mouth, the aching feeling in my bones, the fever, the indignity... It felt like some one was offering my a bowl full of bugs. I wanted to throw up.

I feel like that drugs belongs to another life, another time. But I know that I have to stay vigilant, so I donīt drink, I donīt take drugs. Doing that would be like lighting a fire and I wonīt take that risk. I fought to hard to get where I am today. Everybody can slip.

I decided to take each addiction and use the energy it took by doing itīs opposite: Creative work, civil rights work, looking after my children, dance, travel and enjoy my life 100%. The drug taking took 100% so I give the positive aspects of my life the same. I deserve nothing less, nor the people around me whose life I hurt by my irresponsible behaviour.

I think it was easier for me to stay clean and sober because I did myself, but I am not advicing people to do it without consulting their doctor. I took a terrible risk, but deep down I needed to do it.

Love and light,