Thread: DIY Recovery
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
wishful

Well, if relying heavily on SR support counts as a "do it yourself" job, I guess that's me When I started my recovery effort, I had started a daily log (not for recovery, actually it was part of a creative development exercise) - just jotting down a few thoughts, feelings, etc. first thing every morning. The book I was reading that included this exercise was written by an artist who (like me) had gone a little too far down the drinking path. After a week of journaling I found SR and made a written resolution to "never drink by myself again" (I was a stealth drinker - every night drinking, but no one ever knew). Journaling my feelings as I've made it back this far (60 some days!) has been really helpful, and strangely enough just having that resolution in writing has helped, too! The times I've been in great danger of relapsing one of the things I think about is "Gee, after writing all of that great stuff, are you going to just toss the notebook and pretend it didn't happen? How will you feel about yourself THEN??"
And as a minor point, being someone who ate to drink more and always at dinner, if I'm tempted to go out and buy booze I immediately start preparing an elaborate dinner - keeps me busy and removes a major "trigger" of mine! I guess it all comes down to identifying your triggers and defusing them ... Onward!