Thread: DIY Recovery
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mrswoogie
4/23/2006 and counting

My own Cost Benefit Analysis...

I haven't investigated SMART's CBA premise; however if the point is the monetary cost of alcohol consumption....

Shortly before we went sober, I'd run to the store to pick up some beer or wine, and spend $30 (only the most expensive beer for me, thank you!). Now, multiply this by 4 days a week (could it be 5? Might I spend $50 if friends were coming over) and we're reaching $120/week, $480 a MONTH. If continuing that pattern isn't sick behavior, I don't know what is. Needless to say, we have more discretionary money than we've had at any point in our adult lives. We take the kids to a movie and dinner, take the dog to the vet, pick up a couple of DVDs or books at Costco without much thought -- when we were spending $500 (or more) a month or more on alcohol, there wasn't much left over for fun. Going out to dinner for the 4 of us usually comes in around $30; add a $30 bar tab and dinner out was never under $50.

It's staggering to think of how much money, let alone time and sanity, we wasted over the years.