Old 07-04-2006, 11:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Live

I would also suggest honesty with your friend, Britz. Tell her you were hurt that she ignored these important events and that you believe friendships are mutual caring.

I am mentally ill.....but I only talk about it with others who have similar illnesses or problems...for numerous reasons.

Don't feel bad that you can't really understand her experience, how could you? Nor are you her therapist.

I admit I am self-involved. But I don't expect others to be all about me.
When I am ill, it is best for me if others are non-judgmental and allow me to work on my own wellness, which often means just letting me be.
I get really annoyed when someone decides to "cheer me up" by trying to insist that we go out on activities when I am not well enough to do much of anything and am struggling with basics, like eating and sleeping. It's nice if they ask me if there is anything I need. When I am really sick, just picking up some foodstuffs is a real blessing to me. There are times I could cry over the kindness of someone just bringing me a big mac and a drink. And a fish sandwich for later.

just my thoughts,
live