Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 10:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
aloneagainor

Interesting how important it is to be able to relate to others, to know you're not some freak unique case, that your experience is shared by others and that recovery is possible. Therein we learn trust and hope and find that necessary foothold to begin walking a different path than the familiar one we know all too well. So good to see your willingness in walking this new direction. That opening chapter of the NA basic text is POWERFUL, instructive, letting you know you're not alone, and neither can you recover alone. Yet NO-ONE can force you to do anything you're not willing to do for yourself. As much as we have to rely on and trust others, without willingness nothing we read or hear will do any good. You wouldn't want to be FORCED into compliance anyway. I hear you that you're genuine, and I believe you.

I'm very much like you that way, if I'm forced into anything my SOLE FOCUS becomes getting out of it. I'm not being forced to get off these drugs that so consume me for any other reason than my own desire to stop being so consumed by these drugs that so consume me. You do have "extra motivation" in your arrests and court dates and the consequences, though as you're WELL AWARE, even threat of incarceration or restricted freedoms won't stop someone who wants to use.

You don't have to live in the nightmare of addiction. You can wake up. Some of us need a good firm shaking awake to rouse us from our slumber. Everything you can do to jolt yourself into awareness is to your benefit. I'm so happy to see you're allowing others in to your head to help shake you awake. It's quite spectacular how far one can see once they open up their eyes.

I see a lot of hopeful potential in you to get beyond active addiction. Post on!