Old 07-01-2006, 12:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bliss71

Question How to tell a close friend about your disease?

So I have a friend that I am rather close to. I have known her for about 2 years now and we have grown into kindred spirits. There is one thing though, she knows nothing about my disease of alcoholism. She has seen me drink in her presence twice, once a beer and another time a glass of wine. I have since been sober for almost 20 days now.I want to tell her the truth but I am hesitant since it will be even harder to explain to her why I relapsed around her those two times. Also I am feeling very vulnerable about telling her since I am so early in my recovery. I was a closet binge drinker so she never really dealt with me drunk. I would drink at night for the most part. Anyhow, just wondering how others have handled telling a friend and if you ever decided just to keep it under wraps? If so, how did you handle if they tried to offer you a drink again? I know she is already talking about making me a margarita when I come over for a BBQ at her house. I have tried to hint that I am not a big drinker but she has seen me drink so it will be hard to explain why suddenly I don't drink at all without telling her my personal truth. I don't know that I am ready to take that step with her yet? I was thinking of just telling her no thank you to the drink but anyone have any good lines to get people to accept that you don't want the drink without getting into detail with them? SOmetimes it seems it would be easier to just say " no sorry I am an alcoholic" but I am vulnerable to say this. I am at a loss for what to do but I want to prepare myself since I will be seeing her in a month. I live in another province now so I have an excuse to avoid it for now.