View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Shakur

Its funny, this topic comes up a lot in early recovery (people, places, things). I don't know you or your friend, but I know what happened to me when stoned people came around and I was in early recovery (years ago, when I first tried to "get" the program)....I got jealous, I got curious, and I got high...eventually.

Then I started to wonder, if my friends know how bad i got with intoxicating substances, how much pain they caused me, and how I 'm trying to quit, to better my life, no, to SAVE MY LIFE, TO KEEP ME OUT OF JAILS, INSANE ASYLUMS, REHABS, PRISONS AND HOMELESS SHELTERS, why are they coming around stoned, and why am I still hanging out with them. How bad do i want this? Have I suffered enough?

Cutting ties is the hardest thing we do in early recovery, I think. We have to change, and change is an inside job. If I hang out on the railroad tracks, I'm going to meet a train, eventually.

No one can tell anyone else what to do. But I know that for me, people who get high have no place in my life. Getting high is indicative of an entire set of values, of a lifestyle, that's just old behavior for me. There is a better way, its in the 12 Steps. We have a choice.