View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
TheGirlInside
In Recovery

I love this!! Thank you so much!

I believe I am an HSP, as this article points out (though I'm not too keen on labelling myself in what seems like a psychological disorder or something). I am good friends with a man who seems to have similar characteristics. I love standing around talking to him.

I was listening to something (on the radio, maybe) that was talking about people who are very sensitive, and that there is an actual chemical in the brain (most likely a hormone of some type) which causes those people to become much more likely to develop an addictive personality.
The idea behind the information was that because people with this particularly large amount of chemical are so much more sensitive to hurts (emotional or physical) than others, we have a tendency to want to heal so much more...and so seek out ways to self-medicate more so than those without the overabundance of the chemical.

I'm sure I haven't written very articulately, but if anyone else has heard of this, perhaps you can explain it with better clarity??

Now, I haven't had any tests or anything done to indicate to me that I have an extra dose of a particular chemical in my brain, but I suspect it, based on the description of the personality.

Fascinating...enlightening.

Thanks!!
Kari