Old 06-13-2006, 04:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aasharon90

Thumbs up Sharing My Esh With You

Hi, Im Sharon and Im An Alcoholic.

Thanks bfree4u for sharing.

I went to rehab via family intervention. It was not my choice at the time, rather it was my family doing for me what i couldnt do for myself. I had hit bottom with drinking and tried to end my miserable life. That for sure was not a good choice to make, but i was soooo sick and had no idea till it was almost too late.

Rehab for me, the willingness, the desire and faith in a Power greater than I to stay sober saved my life. For that i am truely greatful.

I was to spend only 2 weeks in rehab before them sending me off to a halfway house. I persuaded them instead to let me stay where i was for 28 days followed by and aftercare outpatiant program for 6 weeks.

For me, spending those days in rehab set me on the right path to live a sober life. Im not going to say that life was and has been a pink cloud all the time. I like many have had my shares of ups and downs in recovery. When things got rough i could have surely gone back out to drink, but instead, because several or so people thought i wouldnt make it, i wanted to prove them wrong. That's just the way i was and am.

Anyway.....I took the suggestions of those sober before me seriously. I figured they were sober longer than i and had more knowledge of this program to help me stay on track. So i got a sponsor whom NEVER TOLD ME WHAT TO DO, but SUGGESTED many things. Things like going to meetings, reading my Big Book. I grab a hold of her hand so to speak and followed her shining examples of how this program works.

She loved to bake for the homeless shelters as service work and worked in the hopitality room at the AA convention. I went with her to that and helped. I soon began to bake for my own meetings thus allowing me to get out of my own problems and focus on helping someone else.

It's amazing how that works and keeps u sober.

Today, im not worried about the statistics out there. All im concerned about is ME. Selfishly I have to stay sober for me.

As long as i have the DESIRE and the WILLINGNESS to stay sober and go to any lengths to do so then i have a greater chance of staying sober one day at a time.

Today, 15 yrs later, i still have that desire and willingness. I have a faith in a Power greater than myself guiding me and giving me strength to carry on in my daily life. There r promises stated in the Big Book that are their for the taking. They can be urs as well as mine if we work for them by following the 12 Steps provided to us. Just take each step one at a time and the rest will follow and u will eventually know what it is like to live happy joyous and free.

Thanks for letting me share.