View Single Post
Old 06-03-2006, 02:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
earlybird

I am the exact same way. So much so that I had started getting worried about it. Ive been sober for over two years now and started to notice that I had become very shy. Very stand-offish. A drop-dead gorgeous girl stopped to talk to me the other day,....seemed kinda interested in me actually. Believe it or not, the whole time she was talking to me,....the only thing I could think of was, "How do I get out of this?". Holy crap. Whats wrong with me, I wondered. Then I spoke to someone close to me in recovery. They told me its very common. That it will ease back to being easier. But he told me to help it along, its a good idea that I sort of force myself to be sociable. Friendly. Outgoing. And when you feel like lsolating the most,.....THATS when you should go up and talk to someone the most. So today I went to an AA meeting. It was one I hadnt ever been to. I was a little nervous. Weird, huh? Been going to three a week for over two years. Shouldnt be nervous. But I was. I walked in and it was a pretty huge room. The few scattered early attendees turned their heads and looked my way immediately. The first thing I felt was "Get to a table QUICK" and the next thing I felt was "pick a table where nobody is at" so I did. I sat there for two or three minutes. Then I realized that I was giving in to my isolating urges once again. So I got up,....walked out,....turned around, and walked back as if it was my first time. Start anew! I walked over to the most populated table (all women) and sat down. It turned out to be one of the best meetings I have ever attended. One of the girls asked if I would give an open talk at her church this Thursday night. I accepted. Man,.....just a little effort,....thats all it takes. A little effort and God sees. He sees,.....and blesses us for trying. For MAKING that effort. Even when we didnt really want to do it. He knows how difficult that it for us sometimes.