Thread: Hi im new here
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 01:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
adam_now_sobre

Thankyou for all your kind words, it really is such a great hope to come home this evening and find that people have written and listened. This is the time i find the hardest, sort of 9pm.

After almost keeping myself under house arrest for the last few days i went out this evening to hear my boyfriend read a lesson in his college chapel - at Cambridge University - very grand.

I wouldn't normally go to any sort of religous service except for the odd wedding etc (and only then more interested in getting it over with to get the drinking started). But this was different. I was sobre and knew in my heart that i wouldnt go drinking afterwards, not today. And the combination of those things made me take much more notice of the service, the words of the prayers and hymns, and the beautiful building we were inside.

Im not sure i'm going straight off to sign up to the clergy, but i enjoyed it. And enjoyed my journey home in the sunshine past bars and pubs that i have been to many times but had no pull on me at all. Was a strange evening.

Still shaking and sweating like a stuck pig though - but i even stopped noticing that over the evening.

Anyway if you ever visit the UK you must really visit Cambridge - only an hour from London and extremely worthwhile. Lol i sound like the toursit board now.

Hector - congrats on being sobre for such a long time and for still attending the meetings. I guess that makes sense why there are more older members. I think AA is a wonderful thing, but i havent been yet this time. Today when i pretty much first went out it was to do something positive and actually live, and i think thats important. I do have the AA books though that i have read lots, and the posts on this site which are a wonderful inspiration also.

Thankyou for being here.

Adam