Thread: ODAT - July 1
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Minx1969

ODAT - July 1

This was brought up in a meeting last night and I think it is a good reading for all newbies and a good reminder for all of us in general.

"this I learned in Al-Anon", says a member at a meeting, "that the man I married cannot be the source of my happiness or sorrow. The gift of life is personally mine - as his life belongs to him - to enjoy or destry, as each of us wishes.

I see him angry. Must I be? he is hostile. Must I be? Am I being faithless to my marriage vows when I achieve a bit of self-confidence while he continues so suffer the pains of self-doubt?

I am not his guide, master or keeper. We are individuals and just each find our lonely way to our goals. My sources of comfort and strength he refuses to share with me; I have learned through bitter experience that it is fruitless to offer them. "

Today's Reminder:

Adusting myself to things as they are, and being able to love without trying to interfere with or control anyone else, however close to me - that is what I search for and can find in Al-Anon. The learning is sometimes painful; the rewards is life itself - rich, full and serene.

"if thou attend to thyself and to God, thou wilt be little moved by what thou perceivest outside thee." (Thomas A'Kempis)