View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 08:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
equus

I think in fairness Rogers is pro boundaries on behaviour but with a slant that there's nothing wrong with whatever underlies it. For example he says a child must learn not to break a window but know that it's ok to feel like breaking a window.

If we were talking about direction or guidance that is forced on a person then I would agree with the above but where guidance is more a matter of sharing wisdoms I don't. Feeling as though I wish to break a window has an impact on me, frustration, fear, anger etc aren't good for the physical health and aren't enjoyable; therefore if I can be OFFERED guidance (not judgement) on how to avoid those feelings I'm all ears!

Using examples of crocodiles I think we can learn something, I do think there are innate abilities but just as you say we can see how in human society these have been enhanced by our recieved knowledge. This converstaion is enriching - perhaps even allowing me to further actualise my beliefs, yet I doubt it would have occurred if I'd had to invent the computer myself to start with OR if your only interest was to refrain from your own opinion so I might let mine go (I'd have got bored!).

I'm fascinated by the richness of what we recieve and often even take for granted, language being one of the things I boggle to imagine life without. I love the vast number of words in the english language, I love that I often still have to look a few up! Even more I enjoy that I can add or make up a word and you never know - they all started somewhere!

I'm a confirmed aitheist but can't help but be interested in religions as they hold some of our most ancient and influencial records of beliefs and thoughts.

Leave me to myself and I'm unsure what fraction would be left, I can't imagine me without words or history, culture or debate - I am not outside of that, I never have been.

Like you I don't always understand my own drive to grow, I recognise something and I'd like to know where it came from - me or enviroment? Was it a chance learning at a young age that determined what happened next, a forgotten incident where I learned something not everyone had chance to? Amongst incidents I remember I know I had advantages too in what I got opportunity to learn - I guess unusual would cover it!

Even if my drive was born inside me, genetically inbuilt, as I've moved and grown I've used so much outside influence, had so many teachers, read so much text, talked to so many people - how can I know what I owe to that drive and what I owe as result of what I was given? It's not so simple to say my drive got me here because I've no experience of that drive without guidance being available. Guidance has often been sought by me because I'm a brain borrower, an ideas thief, wisdom collector, shameful imitator of what I see work.

On the note of uni - my application pack for an MA arrived in the post today!! I too miss uni but that can be solved.