View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 06:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
leviathon

continuing thoughts... the potato

Rogers used the potato shute growing towards the light as an example of self actualization even in an adverse environment.

However, even potato development is limited / has boundaries. I.e. only so many potatoes will grow per acre or they will over use the available nutrients and die out (Irish potatot famine). The potatoe actualization is still pre determined by natural boundaries... mother nature... nutrient availability, sunlight, growing season, competition with other fauna, natural predators.

This "boundaries" issue does not seem to be there in Rogers' theories. Rather it is simply, "provide a suitable environment and the being will self actualize"... The problem I see is that, as history shows, we all require boundaries (i.e. behaviouralism) or one's tendency to pursue ones own desires can result in massive destruction (Gengis Khan, Hitler, Bismark, Spanish Crusades, etc.). Human learning, like every other kind of development, requires guidance and boundaries as self actualization allowed to go too far can result in total chaos.

Even animals do set boundaries... mothers of kittens play fight with them to teach them to survive, without this play they would be defenseless and would die. Same for all animals. Some non mammals, crocadiles, turtles, etc., simply lay their young in eggs and leave, but the compensation for lack of learning is large scale production and Darwinian survivalism at its basest. I guess, these types of creatures are the exact personification of the Rogers' theories in action. I.e. crocodile egg laid in the right enviro will hatch and the crocodile will develop into the perfect top predator, assuming it survives, in this group as it is intended to by its very predetermined genome (i.e. self actualize), but it never goes beyond that to become more than a "crocodile" and "top predator". It is limited in its development by its genetic programing and inability to "contemplate" its self.

In contrast, humans do (see Perry Pre School studies) go beyond their basic genetic traits to become whatever they choose as a result of their ability to contemplate themselves. However, that is not sufficient in and of itself as you still have to provide guidance, the right environment and challenges (Perry Pre School studies clearly demonstrated that rather than coddling these disadvantaged youth, you had to challenge them to see change and growth... Rogers' theories don't allow for that b/c you are actively challenging rather than putting them in the "right environment" - PPS showed that control group plus right environment but without challenge resulted in kids turning out much like those in the control non intervention group).

Another example, general evolution of humans throughout history, the dark ages for instance, human development actually regressed for about 100 years. Can we say that all humans (millions if not a billion on planet at that time) were not in the right environment at that time??? No, Europe was in a bad way b/c of the plague, etc., but other areas of the world was not impacted. Overall human achievement has progressed consistently as a result of our expanding recognition of the need for learning and social responsibility within government, rather than the Laisez faire economics of the 1800's which saw millions of European youth, etc., enslaved for the "self actualization" of a few privileged industrialists.

Am I just rambling or do you get what I am saying Equus?

Levi