View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 06:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pick-a-name

Hi; glad your husband is getting help,etc. You sound good.......I would also take it day to day, were it me. (Perhaps keep majority of the money in my own account.)

Chances are your family doesn't know much about alcoholism the disease, and even if they do.......maybe they have heard the all the "bad,scarey stuff" from you and it worries them because they love you. That is understandable.

Work your recovery and see what the future brings. I am also sure that as they see your changing actions and attitudes, it will help them with threir own fears.............and that is what it sounds like to me; they are also afraid.

Do what you need to do for you. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing something you don't think is right........parents,husband,etc. Good luck to you all!

Originally Posted by GettingFree
Just as an example, in this situation, it may mean saying something like "I know you love me and want the best for me. And I know this situation has been difficult for all. However, I have to make my own choices here, in my own time and I am seeking help in order to make the best decisions for me and my child. Your interference and threats in telling me what to do are making things more difficult for me, not less. And I'd like you to stop from directing my life or giving me advice unless I ask you for it. I would really like to have your support as I go through this and figure out what to do, but if you can't support me and let me figure things out on my own, I'll have to accept that and deal with what decisions you make."
p.s. I just read what gf said above.......I liked that very much. If it was me, I believe I would probably say something very similar to my family.