View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
GettingFree

Like others, one of the first questions that goes through my head is to ask if there has been any actual violence, or threat of physical harm or other danger to you or your child during your marriage and is that forming a basis for your parents' insisentence on divorce? That would put their views here in one light, and something you need to really look at in terms of protecting yourself and your child.

However, if there has not been a history of physical danger, but the situation is limited to emotional pain you have suffered, and to the uncertainty about your husband's future recovery, then your parents' concern is understandable, but they really have no place directing your life and threatening you. That must be very painful in itself, and adding on to the pile you already have.

Utlimately you have to learn your own lessons here, in your own time, in your own way. Ultimately you may decide to, indeed, divorce your husband. Ultimately you may decided to stay. But only you can decide that.

You're facing an important and difficult lesson here in boundaries. It can be very hard with interfering families who want to control their adult children's lives. And it's a real lesson in growing up and becoming your own person.

Setting a boundary is about deciding what limits you put on how others will treat you. Just as an example, in this situation, it may mean saying something like "I know you love me and want the best for me. And I know this situation has been difficult for all. However, I have to make my own choices here, in my own time and I am seeking help in order to make the best decisions for me and my child. Your interference and threats in telling me what to do are making things more difficult for me, not less. And I'd like you to stop from directing my life or giving me advice unless I ask you for it. I would really like to have your support as I go through this and figure out what to do, but if you can't support me and let me figure things out on my own, I'll have to accept that and deal with what decisions you make."

And if you do set a clear boundary like this, the tough part is following through. It's hard to learn how to disengage, how to stop and pull out when people want to violate your boundaries, and reset the boundary again. It often takes many many times with family -- they tend to not believe you when you first set a new boundary and will repeat their behavior until it's clear you really are not going to accept it.

Easier said than done. I'm still learning about boundaries and my children are in their teens and early 20s.

best,

gf