View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
equus

Question Self actualisation and the individual.

As part of a (very) low level intro course in counselling we've been given homework of 'explaining' self actualisation. Very briefly (at the risk of slight inaccuracy) self actualisation is the tendency of living beings to move towards growth, that given the right enviroment beings make choices that fill their potential and that this is 'inside' each individual. Roger's argues that this is the sole motivator for all our actions and that providing an enviroment of growth is all that's needed for people to make the best indivifualised choices for themselves and begin to heal.

As part of the homework we've been asked to make it clear what we believe in regards to Roger's theories. Initially I wanted to simply state that without asking further research questions I didn't yet know. But then in the spirit of Roger's belief that answers are inside ourselves I've decided I should write from opinion only, referenceless - no names, dates, footnotes.

As I have no objection to making a prat of myself, and often think better in discussion - what would folk think of me writing the evaluation part here?