View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156
harleygirl92156

I use to beg my hubby to call me to come and get him when he had finished his latest binge. Swore I wouldn't say a word, but he would never do it.
I worried about him getting killed or worse killing someone else, some one innocent.
I don't know if it is enabling or just common sense to go pick up a drunk when they ask.
I know when my kids were growing up, I told them not to drink, BUT if they did not to drive, to instead call me and I would come and get them and there would be no punishment. I only had to do it once. Now I don't believe they never drove after drinking, but they knew they could call if they needed help getting home without punishment. Right or wrong, enabling or not, it may have saved my sons life or the life of someone else that night he called me to come and get him. I will never know.

I guess, I don't think going to pick up a drunk is enabling. Now, if you have to get three small children out of their beds and drag the out to do this, (I know you didn't say that, but just throwing that circumstance in) I would say that is a problem and enabling. I guess each situation stand for itself and each person as well. If you feel put out about doing it and it angers you , but you do it anyway, then it is a problem.

So my answer is it could be enabling it might not, depends on the circumstances of the situation and how you feel about it.