View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
brigid
body ~ mind ~ spirit

undertow, this whole thing used to scare me senseless and make me very sad and worried about the future. But there are lots of kids who also don't drink, I think there need to be more role models around who actively talk about either not drinking or drinking in moderation. Once there are a few more up there in the public eye, maybe some of the silliness that is running rampant in youth will subside. Not drinking needs to feel cool and successful for youth to be attracted to it.

You could be one of those role models for your friends. I have definitely found that by me staying sober and living it, other people close to me and around me have been influenced in a good way. I have also attracted a nicer feeling about me and I percieve other alcoholics who know me questioning and thinking about their own behaviour.

Start in your little corner of the world. Work on yourself and maybe others will follow. And if they don't well at least you will be getting it together and life will be a lot better for you!

Hope you deal with this now. I personally would like to turn back the clock and do the stopping drinking thing a lot younger, even though I truly appreciate that I have been able to stop. And yep, I have fallen off the wagon a few times, really glad I got back on though, that living hell starts to turn into a living world.

love Brigid