Thread: Last Chance
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
megamysterioso
One brief hour...

Over the years, he has also become more helpless. He seems like he can't do anything or figure anything out. He completely relies on me for virtually everything. We are both phyical therapist and have always worked together. I have had to do his job for him for the last 10 years. He takes advantage of me and manipulates me. I am angry. I feel like I have been cheated out of a normal, happy family.
I'm glad you're here and welcome. You have a right to be angry, but most importantly, you have the right to realize that you do not have to live this way. I think that the separation and the counseling will do you a world of good. As enablers, we make it very easy for our ASO's to "become helpless." If we refuse to no longer rescue them or protect them from the consequences of their drinking, they would have to do for themselves. That's why stepping out of the way with either detachment or leaving the situation altogether not only is beneficial for us, but beneficial for them too. Let him do for himself from now on. He will either fall flat or see it as opportunity to get the help he needs. Either way, it is truly NOT your problem or your cross to bear. You didn't cause it, cannot control and cannot cure it!! His stuff is his stuff and yours is yours. Hugs to you.