Thread: new here
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
megamysterioso
One brief hour...

Hi No Fun-- I hate to say it, but you might be in denial and are not ready to face your own part in all this. It is very easy to blame the irrational alcoholic in our lives for all of our problems, but WE also perpetuate this vicious cycle. I never really considereded the role I played in it all until finding this place and getting educated on co-dependency. There is a reason that you and I are in the relationships we are in. There is also a reason why we've stayed in these relationships for so long. Why would seemingly "normal" people choose to stay in a relationship that they know is bad for them while looking at it through their objective eyes? These are questions you should ask of yourself so that if you ever end this relationship, you won't fall back into this same old cycle.

Believe you me, I'm not blaming you for all of your problems with your relationship. I KNOW firsthand the position you are in, but I also know now that it takes two to tango. Your behaviors and reactions perpetuate the cycle as much as his drinking binges do. I do not attend Al-Anon meetings myself, but have been educating myself through this site and books such as Co-Dependent No More and even read a part of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous (kind of a 'know thy enemy' approach). It is available online for free. I will give you the following link that has helped me a GREAT DEAL...www.empoweredrecovery.com . They have a free e-book there for download and it is a wonderful resource.

Please check out that site b/c if you decide not to go to a meeting for a while or ever, this will help you more than you know. I would bet the bank that no, this is not the last time your AH will do this. It will go on and on until you begin making some serious decisions about your relationship and your future. All the best and hugs.