Thread: new here
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
prodigal

Well, as you can now verify from your own experience, alcoholism IS a progressive disease. He isn't going to get better, he's going to get worse. Only if he makes the decision on his own to seek treatment and stick to a program will he be able to arrest his disease; unfortunately, there is no cure. All you are feeling is perfectly normal. I've walked a few miles in your shoes myself. Just take a moment to think about how much of your own energy you've expended on being mad, sad, hurt, confused, etc., etc., by someone else's addiction. He owns it, you do not.

I finally went back for the last time for just a few hours this afternoon. I wanted to get a few of my things and swim in our pool. All I got, in thelong run, is a lot of "ooooohhhh, baby you are sooooo sexy," followed by "I want a divorce" when I walked out the door. Whatever. I no longer care to put my foot in the pile of sh** of his chaotic life.

If he doesn't get better, you will reach a point where enough is enough for you. Either that, or you will become as crazy as he is if you stay. I hope things approve for you, but if they don't you will have to make a decision as to what type of life you want.

I hope things inmprove for you