Thread: Ways to detach?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizzy girl

Ways to detach?

I'm very new to trying to understand co-dependency. I'm very confused about the act of detachment! This is still a mystery to me. It seems like a temporary way to remove yourself from the "problem" and just another form of denial. Detachment isn't going to make the alcoholic in your life stop drinking, so how does one manage to live with any real peace in their life if they have to shutout or avoid the person they love. What kind of a life is this? It sounds very lonely. Detaching with love? I hear people say here they have found happiness again, while living with an active alcoholic. How does one even begin the process of detaching? I understand ways to detach are an individual thing and what works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for another. I'd be interested in hearing what works for others that have found ways to survive in a long term relationship by practicing detachment. Certainly one can add many positive things to their life to give them strength and happiness, but if the person you love is slowly killing himself in the next room, I don't see how you can balance this out and truly say you are happy.