Old 04-12-2006, 09:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
denny57

Originally Posted by Nutty
I'm not sure if I want Al-Anon. I don't like overt religion and it seems to have that. I am in a support group with NAMI (for family members of someone with a mental illness) which is very helpful. And it has been an eye opener about how the system handles (or doesn't handle) those with mental illnesses.
Welcome Nutty

That was my thinking, too. I decided to go in with an open mind and I am glad I did. You will always meet people there who see it from a more religious point of view, but it doesn't have to be that way for you. And you will meet many people who think the way you do. So I'm only saying don't let the over religion question hold you back from what might be a great source of strength and hope. i have made some very, very good friends there.

I don't thing you can assume that your AH does not have a physical addiction to alcohol just because he did not have withdrawal symptoms. Most professionals agree it is not possible to treat an underyling psychological problem without eliminating the addiction first. It's true a lot of alcoholics drink to relieve their anxiety, but they can't address the anxiety until the chemical is removed. Otherwise, you're dealing with a chemically impaired brain. There are people who believe otherwise, but my opinion is the drinking has to stop before the anxiety, etc. can be addressed.

You do sound like a very strong person, good luck to you and keep posting.