Old 04-12-2006, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ranae1221

I'm not sure if I want Al-Anon. I don't like overt religion and it seems to have that.
Like Barb said, Alanon doesn't really talk about "God" but of a higher power, whatever that may be for you. Maybe you could try just 1 meeting and see how it feels for you. If you feel that it is too religious for you, you don't have to go back. But you may find that it is something you could really benefit from! You never know untill you try.

I am in a support group with NAMI (for family members of someone with a mental illness) which is very helpful. And it has been an eye opener about how the system handles (or doesn't handle) those with mental illnesses.
That is good you are receiving support of some kind. NAMI is a very good organization. I have seen first hand as both a patient and as a professional how mental illness is handled by "the system". I have been receiving treatment for my own "mental issues" for several years, and also have worked in the healthcare field for over 7 years. I am a huge advocate for mental health issues and treatment, and my long term goal is to specialize in geratric (elderly) mental health.

Keep in touch!
Jessica