View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blake
I'm an addict.

I don't think drugs area quite an outside issue. In what is na it states that "na is a fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem" so drugs are intergral to the identification needed....it also goes on to say that "we don't care what or how much you used, etc..." so for me, when I have to share about when I used to get loaded, I allways use generic terms like "dope" or "dope sick" "got loaded" or "ways and means" instead of specifics. For exaple, most of the people in my area have no clue what specific drugs I did (unless they are good friends or have done H&I with me or were around in my early days in the program) but they all know that I earned my seat and I am there b/c I don't want to die from doing anymore dope.

I think it is very important for the newcommer to feel that identification though so cutting all drug talk out and just focusing on spiritual things, while that is what recovery is about, leaves the newcommer with the feeling that NA is just another place they don't belong. When the majority of us got to NA we identified with the drugalogs and were under the assumtion that dope was the problem, after a while we have one of those spiritual awakinings and realize it just a symptom of the disease and we grow in our recovery, and that's what I try to share after hearing a drugalog.

THis is just my $.02 though and it's apt to change...

(there is this one dude in our area that has a year and a half that goes on a "i'm the biggest dope fiend in the room" rant every once and a while so I can deffinately empathize with yall's frustration, but what is cool is that the longer he stays around the less he goes off about it and the more he picks up on the whole "symptom of the disease" thing...it's been really cool to watch)