View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 05:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Clark
where the livin' is easy

Somehow this reminds me--when I had first been sober for a couple of years, I decided to try non-alcoholic beer. Just as a pleasantly-flavored thirst-quencher for the summer heat, you understand . . .I bought the kind with the most appealling label (reminiscent of those imported beers I used to love back before I knew better), carefully refrigerated it, thought about it continuously until the next afternoon, chilled a glass, and then it was time at last . . .

I took out a bottle, fondling it lovingly. I popped the top and carefully poured a glassfull, noting that it looked and acted just like beer! I inhaled deeply of the rich, seductive aroma--again, just like (insert Homer Simpson's voice here) BEER!! I can still remember the thrill of feeling those tiny carbonation bubbles popping up against my face!

I took a big, satisfying gulp--but wait--something's not right--something's missing--can't quite put my finger on it. . .

Finished the "beer". My thirst was quenched. Didn't want another. That was a first. New meaning to the term "let-down". :sigh1: Didn't buy any more. The rest of the 6-pack sat in my refrigerator for months. Another first.