View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 10:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
GeorgiaPeach

My sister's ex-husband was addicted to Meth and had been for the last oh, 8-9 years. He has recently gotten help with this due to the death of his 5 month old daughter & DFACS getting involved. I was the one who was there for her during all of that & I did feel strong and felt that I helped her a lot. About 10 months ago my family & I found out that my brother was using Meth (he got stopped by the police & was tested). I approached him and VERY sternly told him that we loved him and wanted to help him get the treatment he needed but only if he wanted to and was ready and that if he was not, to not waste our time or his by telling us he was getting help and then going out and using but if he really wanted help then we would do anything that we possible could to help him and he is about 8 months clean and goes to his counseling (therapy) scessions every Wednesday and feels good about himself and the best part is that my "real" brother is back. I want my "real" husband back but I know that it takes time but until he is willing to let go of those last 2 a day he will not get any better. From everything I have read, it is harder to get off Methadone than a lot of other things because it is so long lasting. I feel like he is not a humble this week as he was last Wednesday when he went to the hospital and tried to get help. He wanted it bad then and he has seemed to lose interest in getting off of those last 2 a day. I want him to do one of those Rapid Detox centers but they are so expensive and we certainly don't have anything saved up, not after the last 3-4 years. He was spending anywhere from $1000.00 to $1500.00 a month. The one good thing I can say about him right now is that before he would get anything, he made sure that all of out bills were paid, he just spent the extra that was left over and then made me feel guilty for buying $125.00 worth of groceries. When I confronted him back before Christmas about all of his spending and my lack of spending, he never said anything to me about what I spend again. He actually thinks that if something were to happen to him in years to come and he needed to take some pain pills that he would be ok. I tried to expalin that he could never take them again and that he better get use to Advil & Tylenol. I tried to get him to take some Advil last night for his back but he wouldn't. Thank you guys so much for listening, I just feel so helpless and numb. I am the one who always makes things right and fixes things and I can't fix this. I am getting to the stage where I am less comforting and more mad at him. My dad always told me, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again! That is what I will do! My dad also said, Anything boys can do, girls can do better! Those words are a lot of what I lived by growing up! I use to look up to my husband sort of the way I do my dad but the way I see him righ now has changed but I think that is more because he seems to be backtracking in his efforts to get clean. Anyway, again thanks for the words of advice and encouragement, I am hanging in there. I checked out the Nar-anon Threads. They can be somewhat brutal but I have always been told that the truth hurts!