Thread: Too Proud!
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
StandingStrong

I do believe that more men are raised to feel that they need to be "the strong one" than women. My husband, also, has commented throughout the years about he won't do certain things because of his pride. I have even thought in recent months, that his pride is again what is keeping him partly from being able to do some of the things that I've asked him to do.
However - I personally feel that part of being a bigger man is being honest enough to admit when there is a problem and humbling ones self enough to ask for help when it's needed. Not only do I feel this about men - but I've learned for myself, that sometimes it's okay to ask for help and admit that I'm not always right, not always objective, not always sure about things, etc. Swallowing your pride is a hard thing to do - and I just think it's harder for men.
Then again, there are those that may hide behind that line (as I think was mentioned above). It's really hard to tell what your man is thinking for sure - but know that it's not about you even though it sure does feel personal and I know it hurts. Another thing is you have to remember - the more you ask him to go and the more upset you are about him not going - it's going to come across that you are trying to control him (at least that is my thinking). There is no guarantee that he'd get anything from those meetings you go too. And I'm betting too that deep inside, he knows that he has caused you pain - he sure doesn't want to have to go to meetings about it and have to re-live it all the time. I've found that most people I know, when they've made what they think of as a mistake or they want to avoid something - that is what they do - they avoid.
Please focus on you. He will do what he needs to do for himself and his recovery if he's serious. And no one can make him swallow that pride that he's carrying - that's his to do.