View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
EmotionalMeg
Learning to love life...

Just how much CAN we be involved?

Hi guys,
I have a dilemma... Of course, I turn to you knowledgeable folks .

When my husband began his recovery about 1 1/2 months ago, his sponser helped to see all the things he had to CHANGE in his life, to maintain his sobriety. Such as, NOT hangin' around people who drink, NOT going to wedding receptions, parties etc, NOT taking "road trips" by himself...He also had to give up one his favorite things - Hockey (he plays on a AAA Mens hockey team - he's the goalie), because guess what they do in the locker room?! And besides that, there are at least 3 people on that team who I KNOW are addicts / Alcoholics.

And it's only been 1 1/2 months and he has already considered the possibility of playing hockey in October... He says "Well, by then I'll have 6 months of sobriety... It shouldn't be a problem". AND his buddy is getting married in August and for his stag they are going on a White Water Rafting / Camping trip; which actually sounds like a blast and is right up his alley. BUT, what do you think the boys are gonna do when there are not in the boats, and have settled down at camp for the night??? Exactly... the beer will come out. But, there he goes... he put his deposit down on the trip already - he's going.

Now, I KNOW that I am powerless... HE has to make these decisions, and deal with the temptations etc. But it was not so long ago that he told me "Honey, this is really important to me... I want you to CALL ME on it if you can see the triggers, and the destructive behavior returning". Um, HELLO!!! I tried to voice my opinions last night, and he was so defensive. Part of me is nagging at me because it seems like that damn Alcoholic demon is working his magic again... What the heck do I do?!

I even thought so far as to talk to his sponser, because I KNOW my hubby wouldn't bring it up himself... because he KNOWS what his sponser will tell him. Hmmmmm... now if that isn't a clue I don't know what is. But, here's where I have to keep my "hands off"... I can't exactly be going behind my hubbys back, as he will soon lose trust in his sponser, you know?

anyway, let me know what you think
Meg