Thread: I'm new here
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2003, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gypsygirlmom
Paused

Welcome Jessica!

My father also was an alcoholic. He took his own life before I was old enough to know how to take care of myself. I hope you will maybe try another meeting if possible. Sometimes we may go to a meeting and it just happens that everyone is having a bad time. Other times can be very uplifting. This is why they say to try at least 6 meetings before you decide if it is right for you.

I don't know if your boyfriend is addicted or not. If so, then it sounds like he is doing very well taking care of himself and being so supportive of you. I honestly don't think that your councelor meant to say he is "bad". Someone with a drug or alcohol problem is not a bad person. They have an illness, they may do bad things, but they, themselves, are not bad. Like JT had said tho, we are at a high risk of repeating the relationships in our adult life. My husband is an addict. If I look back at previous relationships, they all were or were heading towards chemical addiction tendancies. Not to say that is the case with your boyfriend, just seems to be the norm.