Thread: I'm new here
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2003, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
with-agape

thank you everyone.....I have went to an Al-anon meeting before...and I have also went to a counselor a few times....The Al-anon meeting was a bit too much for me. There were no children of alcoholics there, and everyone was just so sad. They cried and cried. When I left, I felt worse about my life. The counselor didn't work out very well either. You see, when my boyfriend was 13 he lost his father tragically. His mother died when he was a young baby. He was turned over to the care of an emotionally abusive aunt whose behavior and negative attitudes eventually turned him towards drugs. He was trying to escape the pain. He never became addicted to these drugs however. But, he was just trying to die. About a year after this, he moved here where I live to stay with his grandmother. He became a Christian, and instantly dropped the drugs and for 6 years now has been completely clean and amazingly joyful. When I told the counselor this she said, "Isn't it funny how that you chose someone addicted to drugs like your father is to alcohol?" I got so angry with her. My boyfriend(I've been with him for four years) has been my sole source of comfort for these past years with my father. He is completely devoted to his mission to spread the word of God and to taking care of me. To hear someone infer that the person I am with is "bad" for me, when of all people he has been the best thing that has ever happened to me, completely turned me off from her. I haven't been back since. So.....in short counseling and Al-anon meetings have not helped. That's why I'm here.