View Single Post
Old 05-31-2003, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PsychoKitty
Paused

Newbie, got a kid with a problem

Hi, I'm new here, found this site via a good friend of mine, Tigeress. I don't have a problem with my husband, he does'nt drink {only moans and whines and complains and sulks etc etc etc] but I do have a problem with my 21 year old son, he goes out 3-5 times a week, gets paraletically drunk and comes home at 4/5am, trying his best to con everyone he is clean cold sober.
Going out is the main focus of his life, he is on a mission to go somewhere, he quit college, does'nt know what to do with his life, he has smashed his car for the third time [still in the bodyshop] and is now banned from using it at night. Apart from the drinking he is a great kid, always easygoing, not violent, always willing to help, great looking, totally laid back. He is the eldest of 5 kids. What worries me is:-

He first denies he is drunk, then happily admits it.
He has mastered the art of appearing cold sober except to us who know him.
He obviously knows he has a problem, or would not deny drinking, I think he is reaching out for help but does not know how to get it.
He used to only drink cos' it gave him confidence, now its a case of his not being able to go out and not drink.
He has no clue what 'enough is enough' means.
He thinks he is sober enough to drive, when he is totally the opposite.
He lies with such charm that people believe him.
The other night he left his friend behind when he organised a lift home for himself, and I had to fetch the friend at 4.30 in the morning. In other words, he only worries about himself when he is drunk.

I live in a different country & continent, we do not have the strict DUI laws you guys have, if he is pleasant to the cops at an accident they will just let him off the hook.
Also, while 21 your side, is considered adult, here they are not really, which is why I refer to him as my 21 yr old kid. They can only drive at 18, BUT can also drink at 18.

Thanks for letting me get all that off my chest.